To be eligible for the Michigan State University High School Equivalency Program you must be a migrant or seasonally employed agricultural worker or his/her children who has spent 75 days in migrant and/or seasonal farm work in Michigan during the past 24 months; or has been eligible for, or has participated in migrant programs or in a Work Force Investment Act Program for migrant or seasonal farm workers.

Who is a migrant and/or seasonal farmworker?

  • Seasonal farm worker: a person employed in farm work on a temporary or seasonal (not year-round) basis.
  • Migrant farm worker: a seasonal farm worker whose employment requires travel which keeps the farm worker from returning to a permanent home within the same day.
  • Must be at least 17 years of age or over, or beyond the age of compulsory school attendance.
  • Must not have secondary school diploma or its equivalent.
  • Must not be currently enrolled in school.
  • Agree to participate in the required tutorial, academic, and cultural programs and activities as designated by MSU HEP staff.
  • Demonstrates initiative to study in preparation for passing the GED exam.
  • Demonstrates initiative to observe the rules of Michigan State University and MSU HEP.